Clear all

Low undergrad GPA, high MBA GPA interested in med school

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

Hi Dr. Dave,

I've read through much of your Q&A's here and unless I've missed something, my question has not been specifically asked.

I went to Ohio University and received my BBA in 5 years with a 2.48 GPA in 2005. I was having family cohesion issues and feel into depression which resulted in gained weight (reached nearly 400 lbs) and sleep apnea which went undiagnosed and untreated until I graduated from OU. I have taken zero sciences.

I've been in the work force for 8 years now and am a successful data analyst with a fortune 500 company with good pay, am fiscally sound with savings to boot, have lost and kept off the gained weight (200lbs lost), and just completed my MBA at Franklin University in Ohio with a 3.97 GPA. Some of this is not relevant on paper but gives perspective as to who I am as a person, driven to succeed.

My father is a physician with his own practice and my mother his office manager/RN so I come from medicine. While at OU I wanted nothing to do with my father's profession due to the aforementioned "family cohesion issues" and have since come to realize that I'm cut out for nothing less than the life of a doctor. I was born to help and in my mind there is no higher purpose than increasing quality of life and/or saving a life.

I'm about to begin taking all of my science pre-reqs (school undecided) which I fully intend to Ace like my MBA coursework. Being established in the Columbus, Ohio area I'd very much like to stay here and attend Ohio State University's Medical School. I have no doubt that I will flourish in Medical School once accepted, my only real concern is getting in.

My questions:

1. Does it matter which 4 year college I take my pre-reqs at?
2. Do you believe my 2.48 undergrad GPA in 2005 will matter if I Ace all of my sciences and with my 3.97 MBA GPA?
3. How well would I need to do on the MCATs to overshadow the 2.48 GPA?

Thank you!

Ape

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

Ape,

It probably doesn't matter too much at which 4 year college you take the pre-med courses, as long as it is a decent college. The only situation where I think the undergrad college makes a difference is when you are looking at the very top medical schools.

Your undergrad GPA is likely going to be a problem. Your good grades in your MBA program certainly help, and excellent grades in your pre-med courses will now become essential. If you do well in your pre-med courses and on your MCAT, it is possible you could find a program that would accept you. There may be other options you would find interesting, such as becoming a physician assistant. You also would probably want to consider DO schools as they seem to be easier to get accepted.

Applicants in the 2.40-2.59 GPA range had a 6.2% acceptance rate overall. Those in that GPA range with an MCAT score in the 33-35 range had a 26.3% acceptance rate. I think that number is artificially high, probably due to a low sample size. People in that GPA range with a 36-38 MCAT only had 17.6% acceptance rate. And those with a GPA of 2.60-2.79 and MCAT of 33-35 only had a 20.6% acceptance rate.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

Would I be best to get an entirely new undergrad degree?

Ape

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

I think getting an entirely new degree is overkill. If you can get good grades in the pre-med courses, you would show you are now capable of doing well in academic classes.

Your personal statement will be very important. You will need to explain what changes have happened in your life so that you are now capable of succeeding in medical school and why you will be a good doctor.

ReplyQuote
Share: