Notifications
Clear all

List of med schools that accept AP credit?

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

Hello. I just graduated from college, and am taking a year to work. I graduated in three years though, and therefore did not take physics in college, plus one semester of chemistry. I took extra biology and received all As, orgo and got As, and have finished my MCAT and receieved decent scores (although my phy sci score isnt unbelievable, it's acceptable, and my others are above 95%tile) So, is there a list of schools that accept these credits, I dont want to apply and find out later they dont accept them. I also want to work in health policy, not practice, so a part of me feels I dont need them....if anyone could help that would be great.

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

You didn't say which AP classes you had taken in high school, but I'm guessing it was physics and chemistry - as those were classes you skipped in college. Did the college give you credit on your transcript for 1 year of physics and 1 semester of chemistry from your AP coursework? If so, I'm guessing most medical schools will count that as sufficient.

I did not take physics in college, but had taken AP physics and they gave me a full year of credit in college. I don't remember spending any time checking to see how the med schools would count that either, but I probably contacted each of the ones I was applying to to see if it would count or not.

If I were in your situation, I would check with a few of the med schools you would consider and ask them how they handle AP coursework and not having taken the class in college.

Getting into medical school will have the same requirements whether you want to go into health policy work or become a practicing surgeon. However, you will probably want to consider some of the combined MD/MPH (Masters in Public Health) programs - assuming that is the type of health policy you are referring to.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

hello. thanks for gettin back to me. I had 39 Ap credits when i came in...including physics, chem, bio, calc and other random social sciences. I took one semester of chem at college, so only half a semester is AP. everything is counted as full year with lab.

Its good to hear that there are schools that you dont need to take the classes. While I was studying for MCAT everyone told me it was not going to be alright.

With the coursework, I understand that coursework is the same, but what about volunteering. Ive shadowed a few doctors earlier in school, but I didnt like it so i didnt keep doing it. Im interning on the Hill now and eventually thats what I would like to do. Advice on whether this is good, I know this is a pretty specific question.

Thanks for the MD/MPH suggestion. Im lookin into that and MD/JD...although the latter might just be a waste of money.

Thanks again!

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

I actually would guess you will be okay at most schools. From what I can recall, I actually debated taking general chemistry first semester freshman year as I had 4 semester hours of credit from my AP course. At Emory, though, they had an "honors" general chemistry so I figured that would be a good compromise - if it was mostly review, I figured I could get a good grade towards my science GPA; if it was new stuff - it was worthwhile. So, the bottom line is, I would guess most medical schools will accept your AP credit - but I'd call a few schools of interest just to ask them so you don't have any surprises later. If you do call, let me know what they say.

As for volunteering - most pre-meds do some type of volunteering. I think your volunteering "on the Hill" is great experience - it'll make for very interesting discussion in your interviews. At most average med schools, it wouldn't make the difference between getting accepted or not, but at the top tier schools, if you have the grades and MCATs, something unique like that may make the difference - as the top tier schools want unique individuals for their classes (at least that is my impression).

If you are interested in more of a "high power" career in healthcare policy, the MD/JD probably will carry more weight - as you'll have a better understanding of healthcare law and policy from a legal perspective. It won't be cheap, or an easy route to go though.

ReplyQuote
Share: