Notifications
Clear all

Interested in University of Miami medical school

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@alex14)
Topic starter  

PLEASE READ & ANSWER THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS !!!!!
Hi . I'm still attending High School in my final year. I'm not familiar with the requirements to get into Med school. My dream is to attend University of Miami, and get accepted into thier Medical program. I need the following questions to be answered?
- What classes in college do I need to take to get excepted into University of Miami?
-If I attend a college In Ga and transfer to University of Miami, What are my chances of being accepted?
-When should I/ do I have to take the MCAT?
-From my understanding University of Miami is a private academy, What can be done along with academics & test schools to help my possible chances of getting in?
I know that med school isn't cheap education, it's very costly if I might add. What could I possibly do to help pay for Med school and live my dream?
Any tips involving Financial Aid or Scholarships would be most appreciated. Thank you for your time 😀

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

Alex14,

If you look at the University of Miami medical school website, it was pretty easy to locate the prerequisites for their medical school:

1 year English
1 year chemistry + labs
1 year organic chemistry + labs
1 year physics + labs
1 year biology + labs
1 year additional science

A course in biochemistry is strongly recommended and may be substituted for one semester of organic chemistry. Additional sciences include mathematics, natural or social sciences, and computer science.

They also give a list of recommended courses:

Biochemistry
Cell & Molecular Biology
Genetics
Microbiology
Physiology
Immunology
Computer Science
Neuroscience
Developmental Biology

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by transferring colleges from a college in Georgia to University of Miami. Do you mean transferring while you are still an undergraduate student, or do you mean graduating from a college in Georgia and applying to medical school at University of Miami? Either way, I don't think it will make much difference as you would be considered an out of state resident (unless your parents live in Florida). Based on the information on the University of Miami website, it appears they accept around 150 students each year and approximately 50-60 are from out of state, but they can accept up to 75 from out of state. You would have to be a very strong candidate to be considered from out of state:

Up to 75 non-Florida residents may be enrolled in each first year class. As a consequence, residents of states other than Florida are encouraged to apply, but only if they have truly superior academic records (>3.6 cumulative GPA) and exceptional (30+) MCAT scores, and have unique qualifications that the Committee on Admissions would find highly desirable.

Regarding the MCAT, also on their website they say that you need to take the MCAT by September of the year prior to when you would be attending. If you take the MCAT in the August before your 4th year of college, you should have all of your other application materials already submitted.

As to what can be done to improve your academics and test scores, there isn't a lot to say other than do your best.

Medical school is very expensive. I have no specific advice as to financial aid or scholarships. Depending on where you live, you may want to see if there are state schools that would be more reasonably priced.

ReplyQuote
Share: