Notifications
Clear all

High School Courses Required for Medical School?

10 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

hi im new .....im in high school and im wondering which courses i am required to take to get into university and medical school???

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

How far are you in high school? From what I recall, high school classes didn't play that big of a part. Here's the page at the AAMC for exploring careers in medical school:

http://www.aamc.org/students/considering/start.htm

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

Hello,

I am currently a highschool junior right now and am planning a career as a surgeon. I have already been reading many books (Residency diaries, anatomy books, and modern history of medicine books; etc.) on the field of medicine so I have a good feel on what im getting myself into. I would like to ask for some clarification on the requirment of a bachelors degree. I know i should have one however ive noticed that the college i will be attending (University of California, Riverside) does not offer a BS in medicine, sorry if i sound incompetent here, but could i just work toward getting a BS in something that is offered that is medical related like biology and of course take all the prerequisites for entrance into a med school?

I also would like to hear your opinions on a certain path i am going to take as a HS senior. I plan on taking all my normal advanced classes in highschool by starting my day earlier, then taking EMT and Medical Assistant courses in the afternoon. I have talked to my counselor and i was told that they were a good way to get experience in the field as i ca benefit from the education and internships. I would like to know if you guys think this is a good idea. Also do you guys think that becoming a paramedic during college since ill already be an EMT by the time i enter, be advantageous when im trying to get into medical school?

PS: Could anyone recommend a good book on the life of a doctor during his medical school/early residency days?

Thanks guys!!

-Victor

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

Victor,

Thanks for posting your questions. First, I have never heard of a college degree in "medicine". Basically, you will get your bachelors degree (I have a B.A. - you don't need a B.S.) by completing all of the college requirements for that particular degree. Each college will have its own, but similar, requirements for each major. I was a chemistry major, so I got my B.A. in chemistry (it was a few more classes for a B.S., and I wound up wanting to graduate early - and I knew it wouldn't make much, if any, difference as for getting accepted to med school). Many people major in biology because by the time you have taken all of the pre-med classes, you may only need to take 2-3 more classes to be a biology major. Hopefully that clarifies your question about majors. There are different theories about what to major in - some people say you should major in typical medical related fields, like biology. Other people say you should major in a more esoteric field, like philsophy, so that you will add diversity to the med school you go to. I personally don't think it matters much - as long as you have the required pre-med classes, have the GPA and MCAT scores the med school wants, write decent essays, then you will probably get an interview regardless of your major. I would study whatever is most interesting to you. You'll get plenty of the science classes in med school.

To me, it sounds like doing the EMT stuff and Medical Assistant courses is overkill - but that might be pretty typical of people who go into surgery, who tend to be very intense, driven people - even more so than other doctors. I think I've only run into one person who was an EMT before med school, and that was his career after college before he went back to school to go to med school. It definitely will give you a flavor for what medicine is about though, mostly by hanging out in the ER's when you are dropping off patients there.

As for a good book - here's a few to check out (in no particular order):

The Intern Blues : The Timeless Classic About the Making of a Doctor

House of God

First, Do No Harm

Becoming a Doctor: A Journey of Initiation in Medical School

A Not Entirely Benign Procedure: Four Years As a Medical Student

Kill As Few Patients As Possible

[ Edited by Admin on 2005/1/30 8:46 ]

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

Thank you very much Admin for your feedback. At this time in my life any information I can get impacts me alot. I will surly check out the list of books you put up, they all look very interesting.

Your breakdown of the degree requirements for med school was a huge help. Thank you.

I had another question, if anyone knows anything about medical school programs that begin after high school and usually result in a early graduation (6-7 years?), could they please suggest a few so that I could look into them? I belive UC San Diego has one however it seems very limited as it only alows 12 applicants to be accepted. Are these programs all like this?

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

I did look at some of the 6-7 year combined programs, actually interviewing at an 8 year program at University of Miami combining an undergrad degree in engineering and then medical school. Most of the places that offer these programs only have a very limited number of slots available. I know a few people who have done these programs and they seem fairly happy with having done things the way they did.

My own sense, though, is that they are not a good idea for the student. Typically, if you are good enough to get accepted out of high school, you will be good enough to go to a top caliber college and get a great undergrad education. If you go to a top school and do well, you will get accepted into medical school - and probably one at least as good as the one offering the 6-7 year program.

The 6-7 year programs are a great idea for the colleges, as they are likely to attract students that typically would not go to that college.

Some other downsides for the student are that the undergrad experience is extremely condensed with mostly just pre-med stuff as you lose a lot of your elective opportunities. I'm guessing they may also expect you to go to summer school to do some of your classes, so you lose out on summer opportunities (and vacation). You also will lose out on the peer group you will likely be part of your freshman year when you start med school your 2nd or 3rd year. Finally, if you decide to leave the program, you may have to actually make up coursework to complete your undergrad degree, but I doubt this is likely to happen.

A few other upsides:

1. you finish at a younger age. While there are certainly many doctors who started med school at an older age, I think there are also advantages to starting early. If you are considering a surgery career, you are looking at a minimum of 5 years of residency after med school (ob-gyn can be done in 4 and includes a lot of surgery, but if you know now you'd want to do gyn surgery, you'd probably be more interested in doing a gyn-onc fellowship afterwards which I believe is another 2 years, possibly 3). If you want to do a speciality of general surgery, like cardiovascular surgery, you are looking at another 2-3 years of fellowship after that. At some point you may want to have a family, so starting earlier can work to your advantage.

2. You don't have to worry as much about making grades in college to get accepted into med school. As a pre-med student, college can be a lot of pressure. Pre-med classes are hard, and you have to get good enough grades to get accepted for med school. Most of the 6-7 year programs require you maintain a minimum GPA, but it may be only a 3.0 which typically is on the low end to get accepted for medical school.

One other idea, is to do what I did. I didn't plan on it until after my freshman year of college. I had enough AP credits from high school that I was able to graduate from college in 3 years with only taking a few extra classes. I don't remember how I did it, but I think I just took an extra class a few semesters, and it wasn't really that hard. In fact, college was the easiest time of my life - school wise. You have more free time than you will ever have, the social life is great, and the classes are interesting.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

Hi,
I am in my last year in high school, and I am very interested in a career in medicine.

I'd just like to know if my high school courses play any part in my application to a medical school? Or will medical schools only look at your university courses as admission requirements?

Thanks
-- John

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

I am not aware of any medical schools looking at high school courses as part of their decision process.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

Yeah im sure medical schools dont care for highschool. It wouldnt make sense why they would. However if you cant wait to get started in the field, or if you just want to make sure you know what your getting yourself into, how about trying out some programs? My highschool gives me credit if i take certain classes at my city's community college. Im currently going to take an Emergency Medical Technician course next semester, they teach you how to read electrocardiograms, assess patients and a ton of other stuff with trauma patients. Im sure that kind of stuff is what your dying to learn, i know i am.

Another class im going to take is a medical assistant course. My counselor said i can get some good experience from the internship thats part of the course. This can undoubtably help in making a decision if you truly want to pursue a career in medicine. Hope this helps.

As for finding the programs, maybe ask your counselor or check out your community college. I think certain agency offer them too.

-Victor Valdez

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

If you are in high school you do not need to worry about medical school now when you get to college take your pre-med classes and study so you get all As other than that don't worry now have fun and do well in high school. The only thing my friends did in high school to prep for med school is to volunteer at hospitals and for internships and the like that would prep you for the medical profession. Good luck.

wrote:
hi im new .....im in high school and im wondering which courses i am required to take to get into university and medical school???

ReplyQuote
Share: