Notifications
Clear all

Does AP Biology count towards pre-med requirements?

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

I have AP credit for biology. Do most med schools count this as a year of bio if my college accepts it

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

From what I recall, when I applied to medical schools around 15 years ago, the medical schools did accept AP credit as fulfilling the pre-med requirements. I didn't take any physics classes in college and just used my AP credits in physics to meet that requirement and it wasn't an issue at any schools I applied to. However, I did decide to take honors chemistry freshman year instead of taking organic chemistry right away. I'm guessing I checked with the medical schools I was considering to see how they handled AP credit and determined I'd be fine without retaking physics.

Doing some current reviews of different medical schools, it seems that now most medical schools will NOT accept AP biology credits as meeting their requirements - unless you took some higher level biology classes in college.

I looked at a few of the medical schools to which I applied to see if I could find their current policies.

According to this University of Chicago page:

If you were excused from Introductory Biology by virtue of AP credits or placement exam, you may fulfill the requirement by completing 8 credits of biology with laboratory. These credits may come from a single course or several, do not need to occur in consecutive terms, and can be in any area of biology.

In other words, you can take any biology course with lab to meet the University of Chicago Medical School requirements.

From Northwestern's medical school admission requirements page:

Science AP courses for which an applicant has received course credit at his or her undergraduate degree-granting institution will be considered as fulfilling the pre-medical science course requirements cited above. Applicants should keep in mind, however, that the Committee will expect to see advanced level undergraduate courses in the science disciplines for which the AP credit was awarded.

Again - you need to take some higher level courses in the department you received credit if applying to Northwestern.

For Emory University Medical School, from their admission requirements page:

Emory will accept some Advanced Placement (A/P) credit, as long as the credits appear on a college transcript. If you have A/P credit in any of the science areas, it is recommended that you complete an upper level course to keep your knowledge in that area strong.

This is a little less clear. They say they will accept the credit if it is on your transcript, but they "recommend" completing an upper level course. They don't say required - which means it isn't a requirement, but they sure make it sound likehey want you to have taken a higher level course.

So - if I were you, I'd check with your college pre-med advisor and see what they think. If you are going to take a higher level biology course anyway, then you probably don't need to retake introductory biology. I would also look at some of the medical schools that you think you may want to apply. See what their policies are regarding AP credits.

I'm curious what you find - please share as I'm sure there are plenty of other people in your same situation with the same question.

ReplyQuote
Share: