Notifications
Clear all

I am currently a Junior in High school...

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@lovemeh2006)
Topic starter  

...and I want to become a Psychiatrist. I am trying to prepare myself to become a Psychiatrist. This is my high school schedule...

A.English Honors
B.Spanish 3
C.Pre-Calc
D.History CP
E.Chem
F.Gym and Lab on W
G.Lunch
H.Allied Health.

I have NO electives because i replaced them with Allied Health and Spanish 3. Gym is a requirement to pass on to the next grade level. I'm trying to change my schedule around but the guidance office is closed for the first two weeks of sko0l. I was wondering If I should switch my Chem class to Anatomy and Physiology. This is my full year class schedule. This is how it will be for my senior year as well. I need advice.

Anyone care to share?

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

The courses you take in high school have no real impact on getting into medical school, except that you want to get into the best college possible (so grades are important) and you want to be prepared to take the required pre-med courses once you are in college. In order to be ready to take pre-med courses, you should probably have taken high school level biology, chemistry, and physics. If you don't take those in high school, the college level pre-med versions will be very challenging.

It's been a while since I went to high school, but at that time the typical progression for advanced college-bound students was to take biology freshman year, chemistry sophomore year, and physics junior year. Senior year would usually be an AP level science course.

ReplyQuote
(@lovemeh2006)
Topic starter  

The courses you take in high school have no real impact on getting into medical school, except that you want to get into the best college possible (so grades are important) and you want to be prepared to take the required pre-med courses once you are in college. In order to be ready to take pre-med courses, you should probably have taken high school level biology, chemistry, and physics. If you don't take those in high school, the college level pre-med versions will be very challenging.

It's been a while since I went to high school, but at that time the typical progression for advanced college-bound students was to take biology freshman year, chemistry sophomore year, and physics junior year. Senior year would usually be an AP level science course.

Well, in East Hartford High, they make us take Intro to bio Freshman year, Bio sophomore year, and we have a choice between chem/anatomy and physiology/and many other. Same for Senior year.

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

Well, in East Hartford High, they make us take Intro to bio Freshman year, Bio sophomore year, and we have a choice between chem/anatomy and physiology/and many other. Same for Senior year.

Not that it is necessarily the best way, the way I did it worked well, taking chemistry and physics before starting college - so in your case chemistry junior year and physics senior year. That way you'll at least have some familiarity before starting pre-med level science courses in college, which can be very rigorous. If you have a college counselor available at your school, it wouldn't hurt to discuss your plans and see if they have suggestions.

ReplyQuote
Share: