Clear all

Re: considering psychiatry

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

Hi all.

I just graduated from college with a degree in liberal arts (Spanish), and in my struggle to find myself, I have started to look to psychiatry as a possible career. I love to know how people think and I love to help people. I read up on the subject and I was wondering if there are any people out there(or anyone who knows anyone) who didn't major pre-med in their bachelor's who are in med school to become psychiatrists.

My email is [email protected]. Please email me if you have good constructive advice, as I know no psychiatrists(maybe that's a good thing) 🙂

Thanks a bunch.

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

There are a lot of doctors who majored in non-science fields. there are plenty of careers where you can help people other than psychiatry, so that alone doesn't point you towards psychiatry. You said you did read up on it, so I'm guessing there are other reasons you find it interesting. Remember, becoming a psychiatrist is a HUGE commitment - time, energy, money - and a lot of each.

I would guess most people don't enter medical school knowing what specialty they want to practice in the end. Most people in med school usually are pretty sure they will NOT be doing psychiatry though. There are some med students who do know they want to do psychiatry, and I would guess there are probably a lot of those students who did not major in a science field.

ReplyQuote
(@corpsman-up)
Estimable Member

There are some med students who do know they want to do psychiatry, and I would guess there are probably a lot of those students who did not major in a science field.

Uh, yeah. Like me. 🙂

I majored in a foreign language (German), as well, and I am now interested in psychiatry as a medical student.

I can't currently say with 100% certainty that I will pursue psychiatry, but it is way up there on the list -- especially considering the possibility of combined residency, like Dr. Admin completed.

There are a good number of non-science majors in medicine, so that should not deter you, as long as you can do the work! It is a very long road, though, when compared with PhD or PsyD clinical or counseling psychology programs. Definitely make certain that you want psychiatry for your career, and if you do, then go for it!

Best of luck to you...

Curtis Nordstrom

ReplyQuote
Share: