Notifications
Clear all

Re: thinking Outloud

12 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

I'm studying to be an psychologist and I was just thinking that if you are an un expierenced pyschologist in a small town what is even the point ! My passion is tobe a psychologist and it always has been! I know that most psychologists are successful (atleast teh few i've met) but theres never been a full time psychologist in my town and i was just thinking how am I going to get started! And moving isn't an option! (family complications) Just thinking outloud!

Confused 🙁

ReplyQuote
(@polymath)
Trusted Member

If you want to be a psychologist, you have to go where the training is. That's the only way to get the degree and training needed. You get the training, do the necessary clinical work, and then move where you wish with the experience necessary.

So what's not clear about that?

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

how long does it take to become a pyschologist?

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

I know that I have to do the training its just that I would have to work near home because I have to take care of a family member so I can't move away and I can't move her! The problem was finding work once I get out of training. Not taking the training itself!

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

I know that I have to do the training its just that I would have to work near home because I have to take care of a family member so I can't move away and I can't move her! The problem was finding work once I get out of training. Not taking the training itself!

🙁 Confused

ReplyQuote
(@jl87d)

I'm sorry, but I'm having trouble seeing your problem. There seems to be a major error in logic 😕 . If you already know that you'll be capable of doing the training/residency in your area, then why would you be unable to find a position in your area? There is obviously some one practicing in your area in order for you to be able to complete a residency there.

[ Edited by Jl87d on 2004/11/24 21:38 ]

Jl87d,
🙂 (-:

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

I can go away for the training, but once Im done with the training and the necessary clinical work I must move back home and find a job near home(for family reasons)! I can go away for a couple of years but thats it so my problem is finding work here. Because the training isn't around here.Thats the problem.

Confused 🙁

ReplyQuote
(@polymath)
Trusted Member

So, to clarify the problem, is it that there would be no jobs in your area or that you feel that it would be difficult to start a private practice in the area, or none of the above?

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

Both actually! There isn't any jobs available at this time in the area, and as I said before moving isn't an option. There isn't much hope of me starting my own practice either! The traing will take as much as I can afford! If it weren't for the fact that I am responsible fro another person I might take out some loans but if it fell through than it wouldn't just be affecting me, and I can't take that chance! Does this help you to understand my problem? Thanks for all your replys so far also!

Confused 🙁

ReplyQuote
(@polymath)
Trusted Member

Well, I can't say I fully understand the situation. As I see it, there is a need for mental health professionals everywhere, and there may be more opportunity for a job in your area than you realize. Also, it takes very little money to start a practice; all you need is office rent and a telephone -- the rest is developing a referral network, and that doesn't take money.

However, if, as you describe the situation it is so impossible, perhaps there are other careers that you might feel more encouraged and optimistic about.

ReplyQuote
(@jl87d)

I agree with Polymath, and further add... Although I don't completely understand your situation, I do know this; things change over time, and Grad school is a lot of time. Perhaps, by the time you've finished, your family situation won't be the same as it is now, or there might be employment opportunities in your area for a person with your qualifications.

Jl87d,
🙂 (-:

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

Your probably right and thanks for all the imput! But also this is just a little rinky-dink town(professional terms 🙂 and i'm not sure about teh employment! But my own practice isn't a bad idea ! Im just affraid that noone would need my services! These people live in teh 50's! They don't talk about their problems! But you never know!

Thanks again,
Confused 🙁

ReplyQuote
Share: