Notifications
Clear all

Re: starting over

3 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

I'm 24 and have decided that I want to go to med school. I only took one science course in college and so I would basically have to start over. Does anyone know what basic courses I should take? How long it would take to complete on a part-time basis? Would anyone recommend going full-time, and if so, how long it would take to complete the courses prior to applying to med school? I'm only 24 but I'm so afraid that I'm so far behind everyone else, but I'm determined to do this can anyone advise me?

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

I am in a similar boat, though I am a science graduate who didn't know I wanted to go to med school either. There is whats known as a Post-Baccalaureate Pre-Medical degree available from several colleges in every state. I would suggest going on the aamc website and doing a search. The basic courses you will need is 2 semesters of Biology,Chemistry,Ochem,Physics,and English. Sometimes other classes like Biochemistry are needed but the colleges have a good idea of whats needed and have tailored programs just for people like you. Those programs take around a year to complete before you could apply to med school. I am not an expert but, as I said I am in a similar boat so this is what I have gathered in my research. Hope its helpful.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

I am in the first year of med school, and I came to it after undergrad studies in foreign language and a masters degree in health promotion. You don't really need a specific post-bac program to gain acceptance to medical school, as long as you take all of your science courses and the MCAT. It IS possible, and it IS worth it. Go after it, and if you are dedicated and determined, you will become a physician! Good luck to you both!

ReplyQuote
Share: