Clear all

MCAT?

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

hello,
I just want to ask the doctors/med schools students here that did you guys take MCAT prep classes before and when if you did...

Also, how many times did you take the MCAT?

I am at a point of not knowing whether to take it or not. there is also the pressure of spending the big money for the prep classes and end up not getting in med school. My parents won't be too happy haha.

Admin, you mentioned in another posting that the minimum GPA for med school is about 3.4 for science classes, and I am just wondering if there's a big number of people with that GPA but end up not being rejected?

I am just confused--the acceptance rate is so low so most of the pre-meds aer rejected, right? then what do they do afterwards? what options are there to take? is re-applying again a good thing to do or not?

haha this might be a strange question since most of the people here answering people's questions are doctors or med school students, and I am asking about rejection. But yeah, it makes me feel somewhat insecure to have no backup plan in mind while the acceptance rate is so low.

thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@corpsman-up)
Estimable Member

Hey there.

I took Princeton Review. It was decent. I think the most important aspect of test prep (GRE, MCAT, whatever) is to take timed practice exams, and I probably could have done that on my own. However, shelling out the big bucks for the course made CERTAIN that I would do the preparation work! 😉 Plus, my instructor was pretty hot, so it was an added incentive to attend.

I took the MCAT twice. Only take it once if you can at all help it. It sucks enough one time around.

Acceptance rates for med school, from what I have seen on this site and elsewhere, are about 50%. That isn't terribly low, in my mind. People who are rejected either go on to other careers, or else they re-apply. I have several friends who were accepted the second time around, and they are doing great! I also know people who were rejected the first time around, and were so traumatized that they quit trying and decided that "medicine wasn't for them." I initially thought that they were giving up too quickly... but in retrospect, they may have been right -- if they were that easily swayed.

I do some work in admissions with my medical school, and would recommend different things for different applicants. Some people are clueless, let's be honest, and no-one could recommend that they apply (or re-apply) to medical school. Other people are more squared away now than they were 5-10 years ago, and they deserve a second look. Other people are just hot-shot applicants, any way you slice it (although some of these people come off as arrogant, which moves them into the "clueless" category in my book).

Also, if someone is rejected, they really ought to do something substantive in the year that they are re-applying.

Showing up the next year and saying "I worked at the 7-11 and caught a lot of 'People's Court' re-runs" isn't going to get most people into medical school the second time around. Enrolling in extra classes (and doing well), re-taking the MCAT if necessary, working in some medical capacity, these things will strengthen a package for the individual who is serious about re-application.

Some people's back-up plans are to get into medical school, no matter what it takes (assuming they have a snowball's chance to start with). Other people decide that they will look at PhD or master's degree programs, allied health fields, or something completely unrelated to health care. One of my classmates was accepted to an MS program in nutrition (his back-up plan) and was all ready to register for his classes, when he was accepted to medical school. He thanked the nutrition people profusely, excused himself from the program, and moved the next week to Maine for med school.

Anyway, enough rambling. I hope some of that info is of assistance to you. Good luck! 😀

[ Edited by Corpsman-Up on 2004/11/10 10:54 ]

Curtis Nordstrom

ReplyQuote
(@mcvcom2007)

Hello, I took princeton review. It was helpful but if you can stay dedicated and do it on your own go for it. The question banks are key study, do practice problems, take practice test. Repeat.
that is the formula. I took the MCAT 3 times. My score didn't really change all that much but like your typical med student I was anal and thought I could do better. I was rejected on my 1st try. and I had a 3.6 science GPA and a 3.66 overall. I went to Grad School and did a masters in Microbiology. I only recomend this if you really think... 1. It will boost your GPA 2. It will better prepare you for med school. 3. You have given up on med school and want to be a scientist. Otherwise don't try it. Grad School is not for the faint of heart anymore than med school. I was accepted to 2 out of 4 schools on second try. Yes, if you want to be a Docotor with all your heart try, try, again. There are stories out there of people who got in just because they were so persistant and the addmissions committee got tried of the app. and said ok we will give you a go. Whether this true I do not know. Keep Trying!!
Really do not fear the failure of not getting! I did and sat on my MCAT scores till they almost expired. That was ignorant. You have no idea what a med school is looking for and who you are up against. Best of Luck

Mary Carolyn C. Vinson, MSII
Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine
2265 Kraft Drive
Blacksburg, VA 24060<a href="mailto: [email protected]">[email protected]

ReplyQuote
Share: