Clear all

Tender is the Night...

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@hungr)
Topic starter  

Hi Everyone,

I was recently asked to read F. Scott Fitzgerald's book 'Tender is the Night' by the medicine chairman at OHSU. It's about a psychiatrist who marries a woman with a hx of schizophrenia. At the time I was courting a woman with lupus and ESRD. I assume that he felt I would be compromising my career if I had to care for her. So I was mildly offended. But I've actually enjoyed reading the book, and was forced to ask myself the questions:

When I first dated Ruth knowing she had lupus, did I take the risk because I loved who she was(amazinging patient, full of God's grace, wise)shaped by her trials or because there was a part of me that wanted to grow alongside someone who witnessed the extreme ups and downs of life? Given I become a psychiatrist/internist in the future, can I strike a healthy balance between medical objectivity and open vulnerablity/ compassion/sensitivity?

I sometimes hear descriptions of psychiatrists as being semi-broken people,able to sympathize with others,but at times unable to move on, practicing psychiatry as a means or hope for 'redemption' or at least some insight into humanity and the purpose of living. My personal belief is that we're all broken to start, and continue to be without God's Grace. Moreover, psychiatry seems to be to be a fascinating but extremely difficult field- emotionally.

For those practicing, how do you view the work? How do you stay mentally/emotionally balanced? For those who've read 'Tender is the Night', why do you think Dr. Divers dissipated? Why couldn't he handle his situation?

Sorry for rambling on. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts. Thanks.

Robert Hung, MS4

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

Dick Diver embodies the history of his lax times. Its weaknesses are his: the desire to be loved as well as to love, an atavistic and fatal attraction to youth encouraged by his culture (*Daddy's Girl*), physical indulgence in a culture of plenty, the effete displacement of rigor by charm. His profession lacks an independent moral component and makes him mistrustful of morality. The seductive power of Fitzgerald's prose, itself an apotheosis of charm, especially in book one, encourages the reader to participate in Dick Diver's psychology or mindset, and that makes the problem more difficult to sort out.

Having written thus, I should add that I sound more certain of my analysis than I am.

R. L.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

I'm going to stick with you and learn lots of new vocabulary words.

ReplyQuote
Share: