Notifications
Clear all

Community College Transfer to 4 Year College - requirements

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

I'm currently going to a community college and plan on transferring next fall. I want to major in psychology but most of the universities I want to transfer to require taking some of the pre-med courses. I was holding back on taking these pre-med courses because I want to take them at whichever college I transfer to. Can anyone help?

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

You don't say if you are planning on attending medical school after college, but you don't need to take pre-med courses in order to be a psychology major. If you want to be a psychiatrist, you'd need to be pre-med and go to medical school. In order to be a psychologist, you'd go to a graduate school program in psychology after a 4 year college.

You really should discuss this with your advisor at your community college as there is a lot more information you will need to make a good decision about class choices in your community college.

I think you may have incorrect information about the four year college requiring you to take pre-med courses prior to transfer. If you are going to be pre-med, you are going to need to take the pre-med science classes at the four year college as most medical schools will not accept your coursework from a community college in meeting the pre-med requirements.

If you already know which four year college you are going to attend, make sure the courses you do take at the community college will transfer. If you can't find the information you need from the college's catalog or website, contact their admissions or registrar'office and get your questions answered. You definitely want to maximize the chances of your classes counting as credit at the four year college.

When you meet with your community college advisor, ask about "articulation agreements". These are agreements which make transferring from the community college to a four year college easier. For example, your community college may have an agreement in place with some four year colleges saying if you complete certain coursework, you will be granted acceptance into a specific four year college's program. These agreements will also state equivalents between your community college coursework and the coursework at the four year college.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer, but I am not, nor have I ever been, a college advisor.

ReplyQuote
Share: