College Graduate interested in going to Medical School

Discussion forum for all medical education issues, including residency programs, medical schools, etc.

College Graduate interested in going to Medical School

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:40 pm

How do i apply for med schools if i have already graduated from college with a degree in international business and marketing? do i have to take a few courses first? and i heard someone tell me about a post back degree. what is that?

Re: College Graduate interested in going to Medical School

Postby DrDave » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:41 am

You will need to complete the required pre-med courses and take the MCAT in order to apply to medical school. I have known some people in similar situations to yours and they took evening classes at a local university to complete the pre-med requirements (1 year biology, 1 year chemistry, 1 year organic chemistry, and 1 year of physics). Other people choose to do a "Postbaccalaureate Premedical Program". There is a discussion thread here on post-bac programs and there is also information on the AAMC website. Basically, a post-bacc program is a specific program for people who have a college degree and want to go to medical school, but they didn't take the pre-med courses in college. There are also some programs for people who were pre-med in college, but need to do more work to improve their GPA and make their medical school application stronger.
DrDave
Administrator

Return to Medical Education Discussions