Notifications
Clear all

Re: can i still get in

2 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

I screwed up my first year gpa, and i only took four courses first year, but now i am in second year with a higher average, can i still get in to medical school, even though i only took four full credit courses first year? :

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

Yes you can, but you must do several things:
1. Be aware that you may not be on track to graduate in 4 years. It's not required that you do so to get admittance to medical school. However, if you try to load up on classes over the next three years to compensate for your very light 1st year load, you may sacrifice opportunities to do the types of nonacademic things many schools seek in a "well rounded" medical student. Also, you need to show that you have the academic horsepower to perform at a high level, so not only do you need a heavier courseload, but you must get higher grades.
2. How you do in your last two years carries the most weight. A bad first year is a strike, but you're not out. Show strong improvements over your time in school, especially in tougher, higher level courses, and they'll likely write off your first year as an adjustment period to college, immaturity, etc.
3. Be honest and forthwright about your 1st year missteps. If you had personal/family problems, that's totally understandable. Admissions committees see that all the time (in fact, difficulties in one's personal/family history is often the impetus for people to apply to med school). Just make sure you take responsibility for your achievements, both good and not-so-good.

All is not lost. Buck up, and rededicate yourself. Good luck.

ReplyQuote
Share: