Notifications
Clear all

4 years or 6?

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

Hi everyone,I will be 17 years old in September and I just graduated high school.Im very interested in medical school, if I graduate undergraduate school then I will be applying to medical school.Im sort of leaning towards a career in Plastic Surgery,but im not sure.Anyhow I read an article about "How to become a Plastic Surgeon". It says that you have to go to 4 years of undergraduate and 6 years of medical school,3 years in general surgery and an additional 2 sessions of residency in plastic surgery.Im confused because every other med school student has to go 4 years..I was wondering in order to be any other surgeon,does it take 4 years or six.

And is the six years just because you want to be a plastic surgeon.Ohh and when shall apply to med school. Thanx

ReplyQuote
(@corpsman-up)
Estimable Member

Hi.

Medical school is a 4-year program, no matter what type of residency you wish to complete thereafter. The lengthy training for plastic surgeons is due to a surgery residency and subsequent fellowship training. However, remember that residents, interns, and fellows are paid for their training (albeit not very well).

I suspect that you may have read an article from another part of the world, where medical students do not complete undergrad and go straight through a longer medical school agenda.

You can take the MCAT exam and apply to medical school during your junior year of college, usually, or as soon as you have completed the prerequisites.

Good luck in your studies!

Curtis Nordstrom

ReplyQuote
Share: