Where to go? what to do?

Talk about anything in General, rant, rave, chat, argue...whatever.

Where to go? what to do?

Postby Guest » Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:46 pm

At the moment im in my last year at school and would like to become a child psychiatrist. What courses should i take at college n why?

Re: Where to go? what to do?

Postby DrDave » Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:39 pm

I'm assuming you are in your last year of undergrad college. If so - you need to make sure you have taken all of the required pre-med courses:

1 year biology
1 year chemistry
1 year organic chemistry
1 year physics

You'll have to take the MCAT exam.

You'll need to apply to med schools.

Once in med school, near the end of med school, when applying for residency, you'd apply for a general psychiatry residency program. You'll probably want to select a program at which you'd want to go to their child psychiatry fellowship as well. You'll need to do a child and adolscent fellowship to be board eligible for child psychiatry.

It doesn't matter what courses you take in college as long as you complete the required pre-med courses. Hopefully you have been considering med school all along, otherwise, I doubt you'd have taken all the required courses and the MCAT already.
User avatar
Posts: 858
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 5:10 pm

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest