So I want to be a psychiatrist

Discussion forum for all medical education issues, including residency programs, medical schools, etc.

So I want to be a psychiatrist

Postby iRun32 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:32 pm

Hi,
I am a junior in high school and right now I want to school to be a psychiatrist. I am not concerned about getting into college and med school. I have a 4.5 weighted GPA and I got a 32 on the ACT. But I am wondering about what I should major in for undergrad. I want to major in psychology, but people have told me that you must major in chemistry or biology or pre-med. If that's the case, then I'll do it. However I would like to know for sure. Is it ok if I major in psychology then go to med school? It's a topic I find so much more interesting than chem and bio, but if I must to be a psychiatrist then I will. Also does it matter how good of a school I go to for undergrad? I think the money would be better spent on med school, but if going to an Ivy League school will make a huge difference then ok. And what are some of the better med schools for psychiatry in Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Michigan?

Thanks so much!
iRun32

Re: So I want to be a psychiatrist

Postby DrDave » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:13 am

iRun32,

I wouldn't be overly confident about getting into medical school. I know plenty of people who had straight A's in high school and high SAT/ACT scores, yet they struggled with pre-med coursework in college. Getting into medical school is very difficult.

You can major in any subject you like in college, as long as you take the required pre-med courses. Medical schools give no preference to science majors over non-science majors. Take the courses you like in college and also major in a field that will give you options in case medical school doesn't work out.

At most medical schools, it won't matter whether you went to a top college or just a decent one. Of course, that is assuming you get excellent grades and good MCAT scores. The only time I've heard it may make a difference is if you are looking to go to a top tier medical school. In those cases, the medical schools may give preference to students who excelled at the top colleges.

I wouldn't worry too much about selecting a medical school with a good psychiatry department. The overall medical school education far overshadows the psychiatry experience you will get while in medical school. You will get your psychiatric training in residency.
DrDave
Administrator

Return to Medical Education Discussions