Notifications
Clear all

USMLE Step 3 and CME Questions

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

During the first year of residency, when do you think is a good time to take Part 3 of the USMLE? Is there a deadline by when you must have it completed? Also, during residency are you required to attend conferences/lectures for continued medical education credit like when you're in practice? Or if not for any kind of credit, are you excused for attending them during work?

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

I took Step 3 in May of my first year of residency. I think most people took it at that time. From what I remember, the main issue with wanting to do Step 3 is that you can not get a full medical license without passing it. I started residency with a limited license for training purposes. Once you pass Step 3, and I think complete 1 year of residency / internship, then you can apply for a full license. With a full license, you can then work outside of a residency program - typically moonlighting if you residency program allows it. For psychiatry programs, I think most don't allow moonlighting until after your 2nd year of residency.

ReplyQuote
Share: