Notifications
Clear all

Undergraduate degree for physical medicine & rehabilitation

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

I am having some difficulties on what my undergrad study should be. I want to be a physician specializing in physical medicine and rehabilitation, but I want to concentrate on one area such as sports medicine. So if you can point me into the right undergrad major, I would be very thankful.

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

One of the great things about medical school is that you can have your undergraduate major in any field. All you need to do is make sure you have taken all of the pre-med requirements. You can view this thread on medical school requirements to get an overview of what you need to do to apply to medical school.

Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation is also referred to as Physiatry, or a practitioner is called a Physiatrist (but I assume you already know that - it's more for people who aren't as familiar with the specialty).

I've known people who specialized in sports medicine who were trained in family medicine and also people trained in orthopedic surgery. Physiatry probably is also a very good background for sports medicine. You'll want to select a residency with faculty that are well trained in sports medicine.

Basically, select whatever major is of most interest to you. Many pre-med students major in basic sciences like biology or chemistry as they already are required to take several of the department requirements. As a pre-med student, you'll need to take:

1 year biology
1 year chemistry
1 year organic chemistry
1 year physics

All of the science classes need to be taken with the associated lab.

Let me know if you have more specific questions. Best of luck!

ReplyQuote
Share: