Clear all

terrible obstacle in the way of premed classes

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@onelove)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I am transferring to a different school this spring ( I am a freshman still). I've yet to take any premed classes. I just found out the college that I am going to transfer into dosen't offer intro courses for the spring semesters. This means that I have to start my premed courses sophomore year. I'm not sure what to do about this situation.

ReplyQuote
(@polymath)
Trusted Member

If you have your mind made up to transfer, then I guess you have to live with the drawbacks as well as the advantages. Is it really going to matter a great deal? Many people don't yet know they plan to apply to med school by their freshman year, and they manage to get the prereqs done.

Maybe you could find some non-prerequisite courses that might even be interesting and valuable to take. Or is that absurd?

ReplyQuote
(@corpsman-up)
Estimable Member

Hey.

Honestly, this isn't really a TERRIBLE obstacle. If it was, there would be a lot fewer docs out there. Heck, many (I am tempted to say most) schools don't offer premedical science courses out of sequence.

While that sucks if you are planning on starting them mid-year, I would suggest that Dr. Polymath has offered you some great options. Use the time to take some other classes that interest you, or to bang out some tough core curriculum classes that would take away from MCAT studies later. You can turn this into a positive situation, I am sure!

Starting the pre-reqs as a soph is EARLY compared to me! I didn't decide to go to med school until I was about to start grad school, and it all worked out.

Good luck, and enjoy your transfer.

Oh, and get out and vote today! 😀

Curtis Nordstrom

ReplyQuote
(@onelove)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I suppose the best thing to do would be to get started on my pysch classes and possibly get some cores out of the way...

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

Most colleges don't offer intro classes in the spring. But never fear, I'm a sophomore right now who is taking Organic, General Bio I, and General physics I. It's tough at times because of all the labs, but what I suggest is, don't take more than 4 classes if you plan on taking all of your premed courses next year. Another thing you should look into is possibly taking some over the summer. I took general chem this summer, it wasn't that bad, and it was an easy because it was the only class I was taking. And I know this sounds like no good but, consider taking a year off after college, especially if you don't feel well prepared for the April MCAT's by the time you're a junior, then you'll have one extra year to prepare for them. My premed advisor told me med schools do not care if you wait a year to apply...as long as you're doing something worthwhile in the mean time (like research, or heavy volunteer work)

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

I'm thinking about taking either chem organic chem, or physics over the summer. I'm not so sure yet.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

i'm still very unsure if I want to pursue med school or not. I may wnat to pursue grad studies in pyschology. I am sort of in conflict because If I don't have to take biology, but if I want to pursue medicine I would rather retake the class and just eat the loss

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

Eat the loss...I graduated witha BA in Psych and now I wish I would have completed a Bio degree instead so I can go to med school. I did not realize that I was interested in medicine until I took Pharmacology. I love bio and chem...I am so eager to move foward and just forget about the psych degree.
Eat the loss is a perfect way to think of it.
Thanks for your comments.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

I am a Junior-- my third year in school, and I'm 25. I'm a Psych major (with the intention of going to med school), and I'm taking Bio I this semester-- and it's a blast. In fact, it's so much fun that I'm changing my major. Take it, and worst case scenario is you have the 4 or 5 extra credits. Even if you decide to go with a PhD or other psych grad school, you'll still need the science credits... and it's fun! Bio Lab is crazy-interesting! Last week I looked at bacteria through a microscope, and I saw one type that had a round, gelatinous shell, and another type that looked like worms... it was like microscopic spaghetti and meatballs. The week before that, we mixed up solutions to test for fats and carbs and proteins and stuff, and came up with all sorts of cool colors... None of your other classes will have that!!! 😮

ReplyQuote
Share: