Is it realistic to double major?

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
10.5 K Views
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

Is it realistic to double major?

I was already planing on majoring in psychology, taking my pre-med classes, and then applying to med school. But then a thought occurred to me, with the pre-med classes under my belt I'll be within spitting distance of a Biology degree as well (I do have an interest in Biology as well).

Would it be possible, and Feasible to Double major in Biology, and Psychology? Also will it make my a better applicant to med school, assuming I get decent grades of course.

Thanks,
:-)(-:

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

I was in a similar situation - I was a chemistry major and without taking any biology courses beyond the required pre-med classes, I was only 1 or 2 classes short of also having the biology major. I really don't think the dual major makes much difference in applying to medical school - as I am actually guessing a large percentage of applicants have dual majors. So, in some ways, the question could be: is it a disadvantage to NOT have the dual major?

In my case, I made a decision that I wanted to take different classes that were of interest to me rather than taking the extra biology classes I wasn't that thrilled about taking - knowing I would get plenty of biology stuff in medical school anyway. At the time, I didn't think the dual major would add much, if anything, to my application.

I still think that a dual major doesn't add a whole lot to your application. I'd do it if it makes sense for you - either things you like, or things you think will be useful for you in your future career.

However, I do think the general public is impressed by people who say they double majored in x and y - which counts for something to some people, and would probably be a topic of discussion when you interview for med school and residency.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

I am now a first year osteopathic medical student.

At the end of my fourth year undergrad, I was similarly finishing up one major in philosophy with my pre-med classes already finished.(this left me very close to a couple of degrees)

I chose to take the extra year to flesh out all of my academic interests and completed a triple major in Philosophy, psych, and biology, combined with a minor in biochem.

This proved to be one of the best decisions that I have ever made for several reasons...

(1.) If you are interested in the major at all, (FOR SURE) take the time to finish it up. The extra education is priceless in general as you wont have much time to pursue other interests once you are in med school.

(2.) having the biology and biochem (especially the biochem) before med school makes med school ten times easier... I would actually reccomend taking 2 sem of biochem before med school just to make med school easier on yourself.

(3.)The extra time is not an option if this is what you want to do... Med school interviewers want to see that you have pursued what you are interested in, and that that has led you into medicine... My choice of major's' was a major high point in my interviewing process.

Hope this helps.

ReplyQuote
(@polymath)
Trusted Member

I double majored too. It made sense because of my interest in philosophy and neurobiology. I have to say that I do think it helped my med school application.

One drawback, however, is that double-majoring may limit the number of elective course choices you have available, after completing all those requirements for two majors. While I value today what I studied in college, I sure wish I'd had time for more history, more art, maybe some ancient drama and poetry . . .

On the other hand, I make up for it in my free time now!

ReplyQuote
(@onelove)
Eminent Member

I am considering a double major in pysch and bio for the same reasons you are. I think I am going to take some courses at a college closeby over summer vacations so that I may still have time for some electives when I'm away at school.

ReplyQuote
Share: