Clear all

PreMed Masters Programs/Majors

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

Hi,

So my situation is a little unusual for Medical School. I am a senior in my undergraduate major of Biomedical engineering. I have a desire to go to medical school and will complete all of the premed course requirements by the time I graduate. However I was not prepared to take the MCATs last spring or this summer. I have a desire to get a masters before going to medical school.

Are there any good areas which I should do my masters? Or are there any programs which cater to students who desire to attend medical school following their masters? Should I get my masters in Biomedical Engineering if I enjoy it or do more of a science major?

I'd appreciate as much advice as possible since many of these questions are opinion based.

Thank you!
Lindsey
[email protected]

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

Your situation is not as unusual as you might think. There are many people who are not ready for medical school right after college.

I would suggest you get your Masters degree in whatever field interests you the most. It does not make that much difference what your major is regarding getting accepted into medical school.

I'm not aware of any particular programs that will be better than any others, as overall the most important things will be your grade point average and your MCAT scores.

Best of luck preparing and taking the MCATs!

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

I earned a master's degree (health sciences/health promotion) before medical school, although in my case it was - at least partially - the graduate work that showed me how much I wanted to go to medical school!

Dr. Admin' advice is sound -- study what you love. In the long run, IFF you are interested in these fields, some of my colleagues have found that master's degrees in Public Health (MPH), Health Administration (MHA), or Business Administration (MBA) can be nice add-ons to their medical credentials. I also have a friend who is an MS3 with both an MPH and a master's degree in journalism on her CV... because those are two topics near and dear to her heart.

Good luck on both the MCAT and your graduate school decisions!

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

I have a masters in Occupational Therapy and am considering going into Med School. Will they consider my GPA as my current GPA or will they focus mostly on my undergraduate grades?

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

I have a masters in Occupational Therapy and am considering going into Med School. Will they consider my GPA as my current GPA or will they focus mostly on my undergraduate grades?

I have no definite answer on this one, but my sense is that most admission boards will look at both undergrad and grad school grades separately, focusing mostly on the undergraduate grades. High graduate school grades can help low undergrad grades, but the undergrad grades are still probably the more significant factor.

ReplyQuote
Share: