Clear all

Pre-med - Physics at 4 year college vs 2 year college

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
15.2 K Views
(@fordhamjohn)
Topic starter  

I recently graduated college with a B.S. in psychology. I decided to go back for some post-bac pre-med courses and I am trying to plan my semesters. One question I have in mind about which classes to take is the relevance of 4 year accredited colleges vs. 2 year colleges. Does taking physics at a 4 year college reflect better or worse or not at all than a 2 year college when medical schools are looking at my transcript? Please help. Thank you.

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

I think most med schools know that the chemistry class offered at a 2 year college is not going to compare with the chemistry class offered at a 4 year college, let alone a top 4 year college. However, I don't know how much weight is actually given to this. At very competitive med schools it probably does, but at "average" med schools, I'm guessing the weight put on where you took the classes would be somewhat small. As long as you have a reasonable explanation as to why you took the classes at a 2 year college, you might be okay - but you'll want to have a good explanation.

The people I know who went back after a first career took the classes at local 4 year colleges though. I don't even know if a 2 year college would offer a full chemistry class "with lab" or full biology class "with lab" that med schools require.

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

For those people looking for more information medical school requirements:

Check out this thread on medical school requirements

and

Medical School Requirements - Frequently Asked Questions

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

A chemistry course taken at an yaccredited american college is accepted and not looked down upon.The scientific community is a unified body.Your score on the MCAT is yours to keep but not an excuse that nobody cares about. Knowledge is not discriminatory.Your transcript speaks for itself. I'm a practicing physician in New York city and I have advised many prospective and successful medical students

ReplyQuote
Share: