Clear all

Pre-med low GPA but lots of extracurriculars

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

Howdy.

I would like to know how badly my GPA will bring me down. I am currently sitting at about a 3.0, and I am a sophomore. I feel like I can make up for my mediocre GPA with my extra activities and experience. I am an EMT-B, a DJ at KANM, my dorms Relay for Life Captain and currently running for a seat in the student senate

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

GPA and MCAT scores are far and away the most important factors in getting into medical school. The extracurricular activities are great but they most likely won't make up for a low GPA. If you have an extremely high MCAT score, that would help, but 3.0 is a low GPA for getting into medical school.

I think of extracurricular activities as mainly being helpful if your application is right on the fence.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

So my experience as an EMT won't really count for much?

And I am at Texas A&M, majoring in Biological Sciences if major and University make a difference

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

Having been an EMT is good experience for your clinical rotations once you are in medical school. Unfortunately, though, I doubt that your experience will help you get into medical school unless you happen to have worked with a doctor on faculty at a medical school and that doctor is willing to write you a reference letter or better yet talk to the admissions committee. Far and away the most important factors for medical school acceptance are GPA and MCAT scores. Most applicants have strong experiences with volunteer work, research experience, etc.

Your best chances will be to improve your GPA and do well on the MCAT. That's easier said than done though. I wish I had better advice to offer. Remember, I'm not an advisor but just someone who went through the process so these are just my opinions. I would suggest you talk with your school's pre-med advisor to get a professional opinion on what you can do to improve your chances.

ReplyQuote
Share: