Notifications
Clear all

Pharmacist interested in becoming a doctor

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@pharmdj)
Topic starter  

Hello all... I just found this forum and think it is a great resource. I just turned 36, have my PharmD, but am feeling very unfulfilled being a community pharmacist. I'd like to start pursuing a medical degree specializing in either orthopedic surgery or pathology. My first question is, with a PharmD am I able to skip the undergrad bs and take the MCATs straight away? How many years total am I looking at until I start making a doctor's salary? Would it be possible to still work part-time as a pharmacist whilst pursuing this path? Am I crazy 😯 ?

Also, I've created and ran large phpBB forums in my past and love to fix and tweak php, mysql, adsense, chatrooms, etc. Feel free to PM me if you need help or advice on the forum back end.

Cheers!
Dr. J

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

You would need to have completed the required pre-med courses, but you may have already taken some as part of your PharmD.

As for how long before you are making a doctor's salary:

~2 years go complete pre-med courses

4 years of medical school

4 years of pathology residency (or 5-6 years for orthopedics residency) - but you will earn some money during these years - around $50k / year

After residency, you will earn more typical doctor salaries.

Be aware that orthopedic surgery residencies are EXTREMELY competitive.

ReplyQuote
Share: