Notifications
Clear all

Re: I need information about becoming a psychiatrist

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

Hi, I am doing a school project on psychiatrist and I can't find anything on the internet about them. What I need to know is... how much on the job trainning you need, how much education you need, what kind of continuing education you need after school, the name of a club of profession, and what colleges you can go to for becoming a psychiatrist. Thanks to anyone that's willing to help. 😛

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

From this post on becoming a psychiatrist:

First, you will have to do well in high school in order to get accepted to a decent college.

You will most likely go to college for 4 years and take the necessary pre-med courses, which includes 1 year of biology, 1 year of chemistry, 1 year of organic chemistry, and 1 year of physics. Around the end of your 3rd year of college, you will take the MCAT exam (like the SAT but for medical school). You will have to apply for medical schools, and acceptance will be based mostly on your grades in college and your MCAT scores.

Medical school then is an additional 4 years. The first 2 years are basic science classes - anatomy, biochemistry, pathology, histology, pharmacology, and more. The last 2 years are clinical rotations where you work with doctors and resident doctors rotating through all of the major areas of medicine - surgery, internal medicine, Ob-Gyn, pediatrics, psychiatry, neurology, and some electives. During your last year of medical school, you apply for a residency program in your field of interest - in your case psychiatry. You then go on interviews and the different programs. You rank the programs of interest to you, and the programs rank the applicants. It all goes into a computer, and around Mid-march you find out where you are doing your residency.

Residency in psychiatry is then a 4 year experience. You spend 4 months doing general medicine rotations either in pediatrics, family medicine, or internal medicine. You spend 2 months doing neurology rotations. The remainder of the residency is in a variety of areas of psychiatry plus electives. Essentially, you spend around 1 year doing inpatient psychiatry, 1 year doing outpatient psychiatry, and the remainder of the time is spent doing subspecialties of psychiatry - consultation liaison psychiatry (now called psychosomatic medicine), addiction psychiatry, child psychiatry, geriatric psychiatry, forensic psychiatry, and a few others, plus electives.

At the end of those 4 years, you are a board eligible psychiatrist.

--------------------------

As to your other questions, I'm not sure what you mean by "the name of a club of profession" aside from the main professional organization, which is the American Psychiatric Association (for Americans at least). You can go to pretty much any college you want, as long as you complete the requirements for getting into medical school.

ReplyQuote
Share: