Notifications
Clear all

Medical School for 41 year old nurse with average GPA

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

I am a RN, I am now more serious about life and studying.....I want to be a doctor. I have had all pre-med requirements except for physics, and I have been out of school since 2000. I am 41 y/o and feel that now is the time to seek medical school. I do not have a high GPA, but I am very knowlegeble in medicine,
any suggestions on if I need to retake chemistry,biololgy, or math........and what about my age, is that a factor ? I have two degrees. Bachelors of Science in nursing, and Bachelors of Science in Community of Health Education. I also want to ask about commitment to working in a rural or indian reservation, I hear that if one commits to working in one of those areas there are schools that will help with medical school? Is this true? Sincerely, Marsha Mansour

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

Sorry for the long time to reply. Been busy with various things and your questions are not entirely simple to answer.

I would say your age is probably not the biggest barrier you are facing. There was at least one student in my medical school class over 40, but not many. There were several in their later 20's and a few in their early 30's. I think it is a different challenge to take on medical school the older you get.

I think the bigger issue to getting into medical school will be your grades. If you don't have a great GPA, I would think your only chance would be to retake enough classes to get your GPA higher, and even then I don't know how good your chances would be.

I have heard of programs that will repay medical school loans if you agree to work in underserved areas. I don't know any details on these programs, but I'm guessing a good google search should help you out. I just checked it out and came across the National Health Service Corps . That sounds like the type of program to which you are referring.

ReplyQuote
Share: