Notifications
Clear all

Do med schools look good on community college?

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

I'm a high school senior and I want to be a doctor. I am aware of the requirements of getting into medical school like having a good GPA, a good MCAT score, volunteer service, and shadowing physicians. Unfortunately going to a university right now is not a possible option, because I don't get my car until around Christmas of 2011 or so and money is tight. My plan is to go to a two year community college for basics and transfer to the University of Houston for my pre-med classes. The question is do medical schools look down on community college?

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

As long as you take your pre-med required courses at a 4 year university, you should be fine taking the other courses at a community college. As long as you explain on your application your reasons for doing so, I don't see why they would look down upon the community college. It makes a lot of sense to save money if you can. If you do well in your pre-med science courses and well on the MCAT, you will demonstrate you are a solid candidate, regardless of where you completed your non-science coursework.

At least that is my opinion. Someone posted here years ago who did what you are considering and they are now a doctor. Look for Corpsman-Up's post in the above linked thread. He also posted in this thread.

ReplyQuote
Share: