Med School/Psychiatry with a GED, HUH?

Talk about anything in General, rant, rave, chat, argue...whatever.

Med School/Psychiatry with a GED, HUH?

Postby MJD503 » Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:24 am

<post edited>
Last edited by MJD503 on Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MJD503

Re: Med School/Psychiatry with a GED, HUH?

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:57 pm

The experience is good, GED I don't think is a problem if college goes well. That's the whole thing. Go do well in college, especially in the prerequisites, and you'll be in med school. Don't do well in college and the experience or pre-college situation won't matter either. Good luck!

Postby DrDave » Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:47 pm

I would agree that college performance and MCAT scores will be the most important factor in getting accepted to medical school. It also may be important to be able to discuss why you didn't complete high school via the traditional route, depending on what the reason was.
DrDave
Administrator

Postby Corpsman-Up » Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:20 am

Definitely possible, and I wish you the best in following your aspirations. More people should follow that example!

I agree that the work you do now at the CC, and in the future toward your bachelors will be the main focal point... and one must always prepare to really kick some tail on the MCAT. That is huge.

Your years of experience in the psych environment will then be all the more helpful. Your GED could conceivably come up in an interview, and if you can discuss it in a pleasant and upbeat way, without coming off as defensive or whatever (I have seen it happen, and it ain't pretty), you should do well.

Best wishes on your journey! 8-)
Corpsman-Up

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:26 am

I dont think there is anything wrong with getting your GED.Speaking from personal experience.I mean I got my GED,and I am a pre med student.There shouldn't be any discrimination of any kind.But you see everybody thinks if you get a GED than your worthless or lazy and you dont want to do anything with your life. I know because I have been around people like that.Dont be ashamed and dont let it bother you. Not to be talkin down on anyone, But think about it........... anybody can graduate high school. But how many people can graduate 4 years of college? How many people can even get into to grad school let alone get out of it? I'll tell you one one thing, it can't be that many people because if that's true, then America's poverty rate wouldn't have increased by 1.3 million. I think it is wonderful that you are going to school. I wish you well :-D My point is Sc**w em and dont let anything stand in your way.I hope you go to med school and be a psychiatrist.
Im just trying to motivate you a little, I didnt mean to type like 20 pages or anything

DONT WORRY, AND NO MATTER HOW HARD IT GETS........DONT GIVE UP.

GO GET EM KID :-D :-P 8-)

Return to General Discussion