Clear all

is math a requirement for med school?

8 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

hey
ive just entered AS/A levels in high school and im taking bio, chem n physics only...and i was wondering if math is a must to get in to med school..i dont want to take math as i feel it'll be too many subjects...is thr any possibilty i can get in to any med school without math?

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

Math is not a routine requirement for medical school.

But I'm confused if you are talking about high school classes or college classes?

You really just need to know enough math to get through physics.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

im in grade 12 right now in high scool...i took math till grade 11,,now it isnt compulsory..so i thought of dropping it...i see that sorta makes it harder in way right?

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

If you've taken through advanced algebra, you should have enough math to get through non-calculus based physics, which is all you need for medical school. You will have to take college level science courses before being prepared to take the MCAT. You can always decide to take math courses in college.

I don't think it'd make it any harder to get into medical school, by not taking 12th grade math before college. It would only impact you if you think it'll make you less competitive for a good college. Colleges may expect you to have had 4 years of math in high school - but I'd say it depends more on what your 11th grade math class was. If you've taken through advanced algebra, you are probably fine.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

i did my IGCSE last year..and i got a C in maths..im guessing thats not a very gud grade 4 me to get into a college is it?...i dont mind taking a math course in college though..wud it be wiser of me to do that?

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

I am not familiar with IGCSE, so I'm not sure what it means to get a C in math on that.

I would suggest you talk to a career advisor at your high school - I think most high schools have one. They should be able to help you understand what caliber of college you can get into. Essentially, you'll need to get mostly A's in college in order to get into medical school, and that will be taking very difficult science classes.

I wouldn't worry so much about whether you take math now or in college or not at all. First start with just getting into the best college you can.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

IGCSE is the cambridge board emamination
internation general certificate of secondary education....and btw thnx for ur help..highy appreciated...ill start looking already

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

well if you're in high school, you still have all of you undergrad college to take math. what is basically recommended and sometimes required for medical school:

1 year of Calculus
Statistics
1 year of physics (trig or calc based, although i've heard calculus-based physics is more helpful on the MCAT).

ReplyQuote
Share: