Clear all

GPA and MCAT scores needed for Medical School

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
10.4 K Views
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

What are the ranges of GPA and MCAT scores would get you into medical school?

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

As this has become one of the most common questions around here recently, I did a search to see if I could find some real data on these numbers. Fortunately, AAMC has provided it!

The last link will show the average MCAT scores and GPA's for both applicants and matriculants (people who actually enter medical school). From that table, it appears the average MCAT scores for 2003 (for matriculants) were:

VR: 9.5
PS: 9.9
BS: 10.2

Average GPA's in 2003 (for matriculants):
Overall GPA: 3.62
Non-Science GPA: 3.70
Science GPA: 3.55

One interesting thing from that table is that MCAT scores and GPA has steadily been going up since 1992...basically indicates that medical school is getting more competitive (or the MCAT got easier or schools are not grading as hard - which seems less likely). I think it's been an interesting trend - I would have thought less people would have gone into medicine around the mid 90's with the internet boom. Managed care has been hard on doctors and smart college students should have figured they could make easy money going to business school. With the market crash, I think the last few years has been very difficult on most job markets - doctors almost always will be able to find work, it's just not as enjoyable with the changes in health care reimbursement, compared to things 20 years ago at least. These last comments are obviously my opinions and just some editorializing on my part - sorry for getting side-tracked 🙂

And here's a nice thread with info on other med school requirements

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

Some of the links were outdated. I've put updated links to GPA and MCAT scores and acceptance rate data in this thread.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

Thanks for update the link

ReplyQuote
Share: