Clear all

low GPA in physical therapy ,considering new bachelor degree

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@bigezzzy)
Topic starter  

Hello Dave,

Actually I'm doing my second year (of 4) in physical therapy but because of the difficulty of the program i finished the 1st year with a gpa of B . I was so pissed-off, because i put a lot of work during this last full year, that the motivation was missing for the fall semester 2011 leading to 2 fails . Prior to physical therapy , I've done a bachelor degree of biochemistry with a GPA of 3,7/4,3 that was not enough strong to get me in med-school. So today , I'm considering a new bachelor degree because first: Mcgill medschool told me that they will calculate my gpa only on my new diploma; and secondly, the physical therapy program is very tough or even not made to get A grades . So the question is , there is still a chance or a strategy for me to get into medschool anywhere in US/Canada???

Thinks

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

bigezzzy,

I'm not familiar with the educational programs in Canada. In the US, medical schools will want to see all college transcripts, so obtaining another bachelors degree would serve no purpose other than taking a lot of time and money.

I don't know how much different things are in Canada, but it is possible that medical school won't be the right fit for you.

ReplyQuote
(@bigezzzy)
Topic starter  

Hello Dr Dave,

I understand the fact the US medschool are gonna need all my script from college but will they calculate my GPA from the last bachelor degree or will they calculate an average of my GPA from all my past studies? Because if they consider all my script from college (for a global opinion) but set my GPA only from my new bachelor degree , I can still defend my case with great MCAT grades and life experiences???

I'm just trying to find a solution because it's frustrating to be so close,at the time when i got into physical therapy, and finally have to take out this project off my mind!

Apparently, there is no strategy for people who "woke up late" in the US before considering other places like cuba or mexico?

Thank you again!

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

bigezzzy,

You can check out the instructions in the AMCAS application found at this link . It is a long document, but the most relevant information seems to be starting at the bottom of page 8. There are details of how AMCAS calculates GPA. It doesn't look like they make a distinction between a first undergraduate degree and a second degree. I'm guessing they all get counted together as part of your undergraduate GPA. I assume your graduate school grades will still count in the graduate school category.

I could be wrong with this, but that is my take on the instructions.

ReplyQuote
Share: