Notifications
Clear all

College Graduate - Community College for pre-dental courses?

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

So I have the opposite problem. I went to a 4 year reputable engineering institution, got my undergraduate degree and masters in Business and Technology related fields. I am also finishing up a second masters in Management from an Ivy league school on the suggestion of my employer (I work in pharma.). I just recently decided I would like to switch careers and pursue dental school, however, I am still missing prereqs. Having a management background, I had some prereqs, but not all. The post-bac programs in my area have told me I wont be accepted because I have too many credits but I can take classes as a visiting student. However, since visiting students are the last to register, the classes I need are filled up by the time I can register. I am still working a full time job so my only flexible, and open option with night courses has been community colleges. How will taking these courses at community colleges in my situation look?

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

while I am not a dentist, I think dental schools look at community college courses the same as medical schools would. Taking pre-med courses at a community college is definitely discouraged for medical school applicants. I know that there were some students in my medical school class who managed to take evening courses at a 4 year college. If you live in an area where there are no 4 year colleges that offer evening pre-med courses, I'm not sure what other options you may have. Maybe an admissions committee would be sympathetic if you offer that explanation. You should make absolutely sure that you explored all other options for taking the courses at a four year college before you give them that excuse though.

You may also want to look at some of the online forums for "non traditional medical students". That seems to be the euphemism for older medical students. I'm sure many of those students took the pre-med courses while working other jobs. Perhaps they would have some other suggestions.

ReplyQuote
Share: