Notifications
Clear all

Opinions&Advice to a 15 Year Old?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@dreamingpsychiatry)
Topic starter  

Currently, I'm 15 and going into my freshman year in highscool.
Im deeply fascinated with almost anything, but a good chunk of my time has, and still does go to research on what I believe is Psychiatry.

I breathe the stuff, and usually enjoy the research I do.

I enjoy a broadrange of researching, topics and subects that come to mind:
Mental ilnesses
Diagnosing&treatment options
Effects of medications/drugs, legal and illegal on the human body/brain.

Anyone who wouldnt mind shooting Advice/Opinions my way, know that either are greatly appreciated.

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

You are very early in your education that you don't need to worry too much right now about courses you are taking. You will want to take courses that interest you in high school and make sure you take whatever coursework will help you get into the best college for you. When you are in college, you can then start to further focus on career goals.

You may have a psychology course offered in your high school which will give you a taste of psychology, but you probably won't be able to get a broader sense of what the study of psychology is about until you get into college. You'll probably want to go to a college that has a good psychology department.

You can pursue a career in psychology or psychiatry which will likely satisfy your interests. At your age, though, I'm pretty sure you interests will expand as you get older, so don't limit yourself too soon. When you get into college, you can then start to think about whether you would rather pursue psychology or psychiatry. With psychiatry, you need to go to medical school and then do a residency in psychiatry. With psychology, you would likely go to graduate school to get an advanced degree in psychology. The training is markedly different, but you wind up working with many of the same types of patients.

Again - take the courses that interest you in high school. Read up on anything that you find interesting along the way. Make sure you do well in high school so that you will have some good options for colleges when that time comes.

Best of luck.

ReplyQuote
(@dreamingpsychiatry)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the info DrDave, greatly appreciated.

ReplyQuote
Share: