Notifications
Clear all

Business Major interested in Medical School

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

Hi, I'm in my 2st year of college with a business major. I've recently become very interested in medicine and can't stop reading my friend's medical books. I did take 1 college physics class and 2 calculus classes. Here are my questions:

1. Can I get into med. school with a business degree? if I take the required biology, chemistry, physics and math courses?

2. Should I immediately change my major to something science based?

3. What are you're suggestions / recommendations to help me get on course?

p.s. I am serious about med. school and willing to extend my college carreer 2-3 yrs. I don't care if i'll be the oldest student in med. school, I just want to get in - - anywhere!

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

Please see the discussion here:

Answers to many questions about medical school requirements

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

Definitely check out Dr. Dave's link for detailed application/admissions information. In an abbreviated, shorter answer format...

1) Heck yeah. You can go to med school with just about any bachelor's degree! I have a classmate with a business degree, in fact.

2) You don't have to change to a science major unless you really-really want to -- I was a foreign language major, and I enjoyed it... If you like business, and it will be a shorter path to your BA/BS when adding the pre-med sciences, consider going for it! A keen mind for business can't hurt down the road when you are in practice, anyway, right?

3) Talk with your school's pre-med advisor, and READ THE LINK that Doc Admin provided. That should be more than enough to get you started.

4) You won't likely be the oldest person in med school, even if you add 2-3 years to your curriculum (or whatever it takes). The oldest people in my class were 44, 48, and 50 years old. The youngest was not quite 21 when med school classes began.

Best of luck to you!

ReplyQuote
(@bpost137)

No, you are not required to major in science to get into med school. You can major in whatever you want, even business. In fact, business will be useful in whatever you choose. As long as you complete the medical school's required classes, then you're okay.

I'm also premed, and the reason why I majored in science is because I'm a nerd, and I love science 🙂

ReplyQuote
Share: