Notifications
Clear all

Im a Black undergrad major curious about how medical school

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@jayspade16)
Topic starter  

Hello...I'm majoring in psychology, and I want to become a psychiatrist. But from what I hear, medical schools don't accept too many black undergrad students, and it is tough for those who do graduate from medical schools to even get started on their feet. I'm a good student, and I know I will make it out of undergrad. However, I wonder what are my chances of getting accepted into a medical school. People tell me their is a test I must take. Even if I pass that test, how would I look graduating from a Historically Black University, with a B average? Should I transfer to a school that is mostly white or more mixed ? What requirements should I have so I won't be overlooked ? Thanks for your help...

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

I'm definitely no expert in this area. My own impression is that medical schools look favorably on any minority applicants as the schools benefit from diversity in their student population. My own thought is that it is more important to have the grades than the school you went to. I did a little looking on the web and I found the following starting point which may shed some more light for you - I'm certainly hoping that someone else with experience can add some input here:

AAMC section for minority medical students

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

That's a really good question, I would think that they would look on you favorably too, I am a black student looking to go into Psychiatry and I go to a predominantly White school. I don't think you really have to worry about not getting looked at, because schools look at all kinds of requirements. But still, a very good question.

ReplyQuote
(@mbonner)

Speaking solely for our institution, we have a number of a significant percentage of black students both from the US and Africa. Race is sometimes tracked for demographic breakdowns, but plays no role in the selection process.

- MB, AUA Representative

ReplyQuote
Share: