Is becoming a psychiatrist worth the time, money, and effort

Discussion forum for all medical education issues, including residency programs, medical schools, etc.

Is becoming a psychiatrist worth the time, money, and effort

Postby april23 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:46 am

I'm a junior in high school and I really want to become a psychiatrist and I understand that medical school is challenging. But after all is done & you start working...how do you like your job now? like was it worth all that time, money & work?
april23

Re: Is becoming a psychiatrist worth the time, money, and ef

Postby DrDave » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:09 am

I think you'll get a large spectrum of answers. If you are talking about job satisfaction relative to other areas of medicine (which all require a lot of time, money, and effort) then I would say psychiatrists are probably somewhere in the middle. There was this study done on physician job satisfaction which shows job satisfaction for psychiatrists was somewhat worse than family practitioners.

There are so many variables in determining whether someone will ultimately be happy with their career choice, and I'm guessing satisfaction has as much to do with the individual than with their ultimate chosen profession.
DrDave
Administrator

Re: Is becoming a psychiatrist worth the time, money, and ef

Postby Emma_J » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:43 am

If you are interested in the field then you would like spending time, money as well as effort. Hence, it is desired that you should study good details about it and then must make your decision accordingly.
Emma_J

Return to Medical Education Discussions