Clear all

Bad grade in Calculus but considering medical school

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

Hello,

I am a third year student at the University of Minnesota- Twin Cites, working on a Nursing Degree. I am thinking about applying to Medical School starting next year, however I had some questions that I was not quite able to get answered. I have a 3.7 GPA with a C+ in my Calculus II course. I had not taken Calculus I at the University, I had taken it at a community college, so I intended to continue my math at the U without taking Calculus I over. After I received the C+, I had then thought about either retaking the course or moving on to either Linear Algebra and Differential Equations or Multi-Variable Calculus, but I worry that I will get another C in these courses as well. I worry about not getting into Medical School, so I was wondering if it would be be a good idea to retake the course, take another higher up course, or just leave it be?

I have otherwise taken most of the pre-med required classes, however, I seemed to have a hard time getting above a B in Biology, Physics I and II, Chemistry I and II, and Organic Chemistry I and II. Is this going to be detrimental to my acceptance to a Medical School?

Thank you very much for your time.

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

mb26,

As for Calculus, you are lucky that most medical schools don't have any math requirements. You should definitely check out the requirements for the medical schools you are considering. Of those that do have math requirements, many do not require calculus. If the medical schools you are considering don't have a math requirement or a rqeuirement beyond first semester calculus, it probably isn't worth taking it again or a higher level course, unless you are fairly certain you can get a higher grade.

It's hard to say how much of a problem getting all B's in your science classes will be. When I applied to medical school, the applications did separate out a science GPA and a non-science GPA. You clearly have a huge split between those two. Your overall GPA is very competitive, but having a science GPA of 3.0 is definitely on the low side for people who get accepted to medical school.

ReplyQuote
(@eastersudharta)

If you are unsure of what you've learned in calculus better re-take it. Anyway it will help you, since going up to a higher level will be more difficult and should have a big basic foundation.

Cheers.
Easter

ReplyQuote
Share: