Notifications
Clear all

Alcoholic with Bipolar interested in becoming a psychiatrist

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

i am thirty i only have a ged i have spent a good portion of my life as an alcoholic im sure you all know what all that consists of and i have now been sober a year i want to go back to school i've considered drug and alcohol counceling that has been my main focus i do realize i have a lot to learn and ive got to start out small not that i am trying to dream too big but you never know where it might lead me i do believe in myself but i have to think realisic also my question is are there laws that might prevent me from becoming a psychiatrist or psychologist in the future if i am being treated for bypolar disorder also if i have had more than one suicide attempt in my past

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

I'm not aware of any laws or regulations which would prevent you from becoming a doctor/psychiatrist just from having a history of mental illness, alcohol problems, and a history of a suicide attempt. Being 30 with a GED and your history makes the road to becoming a psychiatrist a very difficult and long one, though. I think that there are plenty of opportunities for you as a counselor, which does not always require an advanced degree.

Congratulations on your year of sobriety. That is a great accomplishment. I think going back to school for more education will be helpful no matter which career choice you ultimately make.

Best of luck.

ReplyQuote
Share: