Notifications
Clear all

Working on becoming a Psychologist for the Deaf.

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@tiffany143)
Topic starter  

I am currently going to school to become and interpreter. I have two more classes until I am finished with the program. However, I still have all the interpreting tests to take and pass. During this time I have been taking as many classes I can to get my Associates of Science and my Associates of Art. When I transfer I will have one credit short of working on my Bachelors for Psychology. After that...I am stuck. I have no idea where to turn and what to do. I did not do this the normal way most people do. I want to work on becoming anything in Psychology and eventualy I want to be Psychiatrist but I have awhile before I can be a well enough to even translate the meanings. I do not want to be a interpreter for ever. My goal plan is to by a Psychiatrist and be able to communicate with the deaf so they can have privacy as well. I just need a little direction and push. Money is really tight in my family. It is just my mom and I but she works at a bank plus I work full time. We make to much for me to get grant money. Any advice or direction would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

I think it is great that you want to specialize in working with deaf individuals. In mental health, deaf/hard of hearing individuals present some very unique challenges. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of advice I can offer about what you need to do to pursue a career in psychology, as I don't have that much experience with psychologist training requirements.

I would suggest when you transfer to a 4 year college that you try to get assistance from their department of psychology with what graduates typically do to find work. All of the psychologists I've worked with have at least a masters level degree and most have a PhD or PsyD. There are also many other "therapists" who have degrees in other fields such as social work.

Becoming a psychiatrist is a much more labor intensive process than becoming a psychologist (although there are some very challenging PhD programs). In order to become a psychiatrist, you'd have to go to medical school after completing your undergraduate degree, but the schools are extremely selective and only take the top candidates. You would then do a 4 year residency program in psychiatry after completing your four years of medical school.

If you have more specific questions, I'm happy to help try to find you answers or resources.

ReplyQuote
Share: