Clear all

Transfer from foreign medical school to US medical school

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
11.1 K Views
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

I currently am attending medical school outside of the United States, in Costa Rica, but I am planning on moving back to the U.S. What requisites would I have to fill to be accepted in a school in the United States?

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

Transferring from an international medical school to a United States medical school is not easy. Based one what I've read, I would guess there are probably around 100 foreign medical students applying for EACH spot available for a transfer into a US medical school. It is possible, but not easy. I haven't pursued this process myself, so I don't have a whole lot of personal information to provide. However, it does appear that if you are not planning on a competitive residency, you'd have a better chance of matching into a US residency program once you've finished medical school, than getting accepted into a US medical school.

The AAMC has a section where you can find schools that accept international medical school transfers. When I looked, it seemed like only 3 medical schools are currently accepting foreign medical students.

There appears to be some good information from someone who successfully transferred from a Caribbean medical school to a US medical school here.

If you find some other good resources, feel free to share them here.

ReplyQuote
Share: