Internships related to Medical field

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 kgee
(@kgee)
Topic starter  

Hi,
I am a college student (currently second year) and am hoping to join into a medical school in the future. I am looking forward to doing an internship during my third year and was wondering if I could get advice on which kind of internships can prepare me best for the medical field.
Thanks.

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

I think doing any sort of volunteering within a hospital would be good experience. If your college has a pre-med advisor, I would talk to him/her to see the best way to get volunteer experience in a local hospital. If there are actual pre-med internships in your area, that would be best, especially if you can have some form of a mentor involved to answer questions or explain what you are seeing. In my case, I volunteered through Red Cross at the hospital on campus. I'd say the experience wasn't really something that prepared me better for medical school, but I did get to spend some time helping out in a hospital around very sick patients. I personally did not enjoy many aspects of that experience particularly because there was no one there to explain what I was seeing. Again - if you can see if there is someone who will mentor your experience, you're much more likely to have a positive experience.

Good luck. I'm interested to find out what kind of opportunities you find.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

Thanks for the advice.

ReplyQuote
Share: