Clear all

High School Senior Needs Guidance

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

Hi,

I am a senior in high school and I am really interested in becoming a doctor, the only problem is that my parents really want me to apply to one of those accelerated medical programs (like the 7 or 8 year ones at VCU or UMiami) and they believe that those programs are the best way to become a doctor. They said that if I don't get into to one of the programs they want to send me to India but it is really difficult to do residency in America if you are applying from India and they don't seem to understand that. Please give me the pros and cons of the accelerated med programs and if it is really that much easier to not have to take the MCAT. I also want to know if these programs cost just as much as regular undergrad and then med school. I want to convince my parents to stay open to regular undergraduate programs as well, please give me insight from your experiences as a student and which path I should follow.

Thank you!

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

There are a few threads about combined BA/MD programs such as:

Combined BA/MD programs or regular undergraduate education?

You can find some information there. There are advantages and disadvantages to these types of programs. In the past, they generally were at average medical schools and were used as a way to attract higher caliber high school students who normally would go to a higher level undergraduate program and had a good chance of getting into an above average medical school. At that time, I definitely felt these types or programs are not a good idea for most people qualified to get accepted. You still need to do well as an undergrad to stay in the program. One possible advantage is if you can complete a 7 year program then you would save one year's tuition. One downside is you may be required to attend summer school to complete everything you need so maybe it isn't as much of a savings as you'd think.

Some programs may still require you to take the MCAT - you should check and see. I know the programs do typically require you maintain at least a certain GPA. I wouldn't be too worried about the MCAT. If you are good enough to get into a combined program out of high school, then you should not have any trouble with the MCAT when the time comes.

The main problems with these types of programs include:

- You are locked in to medical school whereas the traditional path gives you more opportunities to explore other career options that may wind up being a better fit.

- You are locked in to the school you are attending for both undergrad and medical school. Often people want a change of location after spending a certain amount of time in one spot. Most candidates qualified to get into these programs would be strong candidates at top tier medical schools. You may be 'settling' for a medical school that is not as good as you could have possible attended. Even more likely is that you are 'settling' for an undergraduate school that is not as good as you could have attended.

- Compressing your education into less than 8 years means that you have less opportunities to explore electives outside of medicine that may be of interest to you.

- Depending on the program, you may not have a large peer group. You aren't a typical undergrad student and when you start medical school, you aren't a typical medical student following the courses with the rest of the med students.

I personally did not do one of the combined BA/MD programs, but I did explore a few. At the time it wound up not making sense for me.

Something else to consider - if you are smart enough to get into a combined program, you should explore academic scholarships at some colleges as you may be able to get a tuition reduction based on your academic performance in high school. Maybe an academic scholarship might persuade your parents that undergraduate education in the US isn't such a bad idea. Medical school is VERY expensive, but I think it would be pretty similar whether in the BA/MD or the regular MD program.

If you do go to college in India, it will be extremely difficult to get into a US medical school. You may be able to get into a US residency program, but I believe US residency programs are very competitive for international medical graduates.

ReplyQuote
Share: