Clear all

Dual enrollment & Community college credits

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@jwindsor1)
Topic starter  

(Background info)

When I was a junior in high school (I was 15) I started dual enrollement, taking both college & AP high school classes. I took my general bio w/ lab, intro chem w/ lab, general chems w/ lab & calculus 1 at the community college (along with all the general education requirements). After I graduated, I went to the New College of Florida (only public honors university in FL). By taking dual enrollment courses, I was able to get one years worth of credit trasferred, so I only have three years left. I'm going to be a junior next year, and I'm almost finished with all of my pre-med requirements (physics II left). Dual enrollment at the community college was the only option to me in my area for acceleration, and it has greatly benefitted me. I'm going to be 20 when I enter into medical school, so I saved years of time.

My questions:

Will taking several of the premed requirements at the community college level negatively affect me, even though I was an advanced program?
(I have also followed up all of my science community college classes with the next level at the university (i.e. Cellular bio, organic chem, calculus II))
Do I have any chance of getting into Yale, Harvard, JHMS, etc. without retaking courses?

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

You obviously are a high achiever which will work to your advantage as a medical school applicant. I can't give you any definite answer as to whether your community college science classes will meet the pre-med science requirements. I would expect some medical schools would accept your community college pre-med science classes as you did take the next level beyond that at the 4 year college level.

I would suggest you contact some of the schools you are considering and asking their medical school admission's committee whether they will accept your coursework as sufficient for their medical school. I wouldn't be comfortable with anything short of an answer from the actual medical school you are considering. While your situation isn't typical, it sounds like you are in a good situation as far as being a high achiever.

Good luck and let me know what the medical school admission committees tell you.

ReplyQuote
Share: