Notifications
Clear all

Dual enrolled student at FAU - interested in medical school

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

Hey, I am currently a dual enrolled student at FAU and I'm only in the 10th grade and just so happen to be taking College Physics, as well as Organic Chemistry 1 this summer. There is a possibility that I could graduate with a bachelors in Biochemistry by the time I graduate high school. However I'm concerned that medical schools will think I'm "not ready" if I don't have enough experience. What do you think?

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

FAU owl,

I'm not personally too familiar with dual enrollment programs, but there were a few threads here in the past with questions about dual enrollment and going to medical school. Here's a few I found:

Dual Enrollment and pre-med courses taken at community college level

and

getting an associates degree while in high school

I'm not sure if the person who started that first thread still has the same email address, but if you join the board, you can try sending a direct message and see if he/she is still around, as I'm guessing you can get a lot more information from someone who has already been down this path.

As to your question about being "not ready" - I don't think you should worry too much about that. While it is true that you won't have the same level of maturity at 18 that you will have at 21 or 25 or 30, I think that many medical schools will want the absolute best students they can get, regardless of age.

The only question I have is whether the level of pre-med coursework you are taking is the same intensity as what someone at a 4 year college would take. Medical schools will try to gauge whether you were challenged in the same way that a pre-med college student is. Your MCAT scores will help give an indication of your abilities, but ultimately it is up to the medical schools to decide whether your pre-med science classes are adequate to meet their requirements.

As I mentioned in other threads, it may be worthwhile to contact some of the medical schools you would be considering and see if you can get any feedback on whether the would consider the coursework you are taking as adequate for their medical school.

Best of luck.

ReplyQuote
Share: