Notifications
Clear all

Continuation on ot of state residency,one more question

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

I really do appreaciate all of the advice.........thanks Admin and corpsman.I was on here about a week ago with questions and you guys answered them,.But i have one more question

It doesnt cost money to do an out of state residency,you just havet to adjust to the living arrangements?

ReplyQuote
(@corpsman-up)
Estimable Member

Hi again, glad to serve up some info for you!

No, there is no charge for being a resident, whether in-state or out-of-state. The program pays the intern/resident during the years of residency (just not very well, considering all the hours you put in!). The cost comes before you are ever a resident.

The part of medical training that costs you money is medical school itself, and that can cost more at an out-of-state or private medical school -- sometimes a LOT more.

For example, I am at a private medical school, and I pay about four times what an in-state medical student pays per year at University of Massachusetts School of Medicine. Granted, UMass is one of the cheaper med schools in New England, but STILL! 😮 Ouch.

(Also, UMass is one of the few state schools which doesn't accept any out-of-state medical students. Most state medical schools will accept a few students from elsewhere, and totally jack up the tuition for them. Colorado is really spendy in that regard, as I recall -- if you are from another state, they charge something like $40,000 per year. Unreal...)

So, residency is the least of your worries at this point... it's getting through medical school itself (to get the letters after your name) that pinches the ol' purse strings.

Good luck!

Curtis Nordstrom

ReplyQuote
Share: