Notifications
Clear all

Can I become a psychiatrist with my backround?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

Hello, I'm also looking into getting a career as a psychiatrist. But here is my dilemma. I had very bad grades in my freshman and sophomore year of high school and got transferred to an alternative school in my junior year. I missed a lot of class during that year and by the time I made it to my senior year I dropped out mid-year at age 18. I worked for the next two years at an okay job but now that I'm 20 I'm going to an adult school to earn my high school diploma. What I want to know is, am I able to pursue a career as a psychiatrist given my background? I have no clue on how to get started once I do obtain my HSD, if I'm even eligible. Can someone help me by explaining, in great detail, what I have to do to get started?

ReplyQuote
(@drdave)
Admin Admin

Rose,

Going an alternate route to getting your high school diploma won't keep you from becoming a psychiatrist; however, you would need to be an exceptional student to do so. You would have to get good enough grades in your high school education to get into college. You would need to have excellent grades in college, taking the required pre-med courses, as well as whatever else is needed to graduate. You would have to do well enough on your MCAT exam to be considered for medical school. You would have to apply and get accepted to medical school. That will be the hardest part. During your last year of medical school, you would apply for residency programs in psychiatry. Psychiatry residency programs are not overly competitive unless you are looking at the top programs. If you are good enough to get into medical school, you should be able to match in a psychiatry residency some where.

So - in a nutshell: Do well enough finishing your high school degree to get into college; be an excellent college student (4 years); go to medical school (4 years); complete a psychiatry residency (4 years).

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

Thank you so much for relying to me. I'm happy to know I can pursue my dream career.

ReplyQuote
Share: